Holistic Medicine tells us binding is vital for the closing of the mind, body and spirit after a woman gives birth. The tradition of belly binding originated in Malaysia, but can also be found around the world in various forms.
What is Bengkung Belly Binding?
Bengkung is a traditional Malaysian belly binding method. Essentially, it is the practice of tying a long strip of cloth around the abdomen during the postpartum recovery period to ensure strong support to the womb after childbirth.
Benefits of Belly Binding
- Supporting the internal organs
- Assisting in abdominal wall retraction and diastasis recti recovery
- Reducing the postpartum “pooch” that many women experience
- Encouraging good posture
- Improving circulation
- Reducing water retention
- Closing and reshaping of the hips and rib cage
- Decreasing postpartum bleeding time
- Supporting the pelvic floor
- Lessening after pains
- Encouraging spinal realignment to a pre-pregnancy state
- Preventing slouching while feeding or holding your child